Transit Visa for New Zealand
New Zealand eTA or New Zealand eTA is required for transit through New Zealand.You are a transit traveler if you pass through New Zealand on your way to another nation and do not intend to stay.
As a transit passenger, you can only go through Auckland International Airport and must remain in the airport's transit area or on board your craft. In New Zealand, you must normally spend no more than 24 hours in travel.
New Zealand Visa (NZeTA)
New Zealand eTA Application Form now allows visitors from all nationalities to obtain New Zealand eTA (NZETA) by email without visiting New Zealand Embassy. New Zealand Visa application process is automated, simple, and completely online. New Zealand Immigration now officially recommends Online New Zealand Visa or New Zealand ETA online rather than sending paper documents. You can obtain New Zealand eTA by filling out a form on this website and making the payment using a Debit or Credit Card. You will also require a valid email id as New Zealand eTA information will be sent to your email id. You do not need visit an embassy or consulate or to send your passport for Visa stamping.
What Are the Requirements to Get the Transit Visa for New Zealand?
When transiting through New Zealand, several kinds of visitors can quickly apply for the Electronic Travel Authority for New Zealand (New Zealand eTA) rather than obtaining a visa.
A transit passenger is someone who must travel via New Zealand on their way to another nation. Any traveler passing through Auckland International Airport is required to obtain a Transit Visa for New Zealand.
Passengers who match the Transit Visa for New Zealand eligibility criteria are eligible to apply for the New Zealand Travel Authority. The application process is entirely online and takes only a few minutes to complete.
To travel in New Zealand, you must:
- Fit into one of the categories or exclusions that imply you do not need an New Zealand eTA or a transit visa, or
- Hold an New Zealand eTA if you are allowed to transit on an New Zealand eTA, or
- Hold a transit visa if a transit visa is necessary.
Note: Because transit restrictions are subject to change at any time, it is your responsibility to ensure that you can transit through New Zealand and enter any nation on your itinerary. If you are unable to do so, you may be denied boarding the plane. Thus, you will not be able to enter New Zealand as a transit traveler.
Who Doesn't Require a Visa or New Zealand eTA?
If you meet the following criteria, you do not require a visa or New Zealand eTA:
- Are a New Zealand citizen or holder of a resident class visa.
- Are a New Zealand temporary entry class visa holder with valid travel conditions or
- Are an Australian citizen.
What Documents Are Required to Request a New Zealand eTA?
If you intend to transit via New Zealand to another country, you must obtain a New Zealand eTA before traveling if you:
- Hold a passport from a country on the list of transit visa waiver countries, or
- Are a citizen of a country on the list of visa waiver countries and territories, or
- Have a current Australian permanent resident visa that allows you to return to Australia from overseas, or
- Regardless of nationality, your immediate or destination after transiting New Zealand is Australia, and
- You have a current visa issued by the Australian government to enter Australia, or
- Have a transit visa.
- Who Requires A Visa To Travel Through New Zealand?
- All travelers who are not qualified for the Transit Visa for New Zealand must get a transit visa for New Zealand.
Get Online New Zealand visa for US citizens, with new-zealand-visa.org. To find out the requirements of the New Zealand eTA for Americans (USA Citizens) and the eTA NZ visa application learn more at Online New Zealand Visa for US Citizens.
Who Is Eligible For A New Zealand eTA for Transit?
Passport holders from the countries listed below are covered by New Zealand's transit waiver agreement.
For stopovers at Auckland International Airport, these citizens must have a Transit Visa for New Zealand:
Antigua and Barbuda
Bosnia and Herzegovina
Central African Republic
Iran, Islamic Republic of
Korea, Democratic People’s Republic of
Korea, Republic of
Lao People’s Democratic Republic
Micronesia, Federated States of
Moldova, Republic of
Papua New Guinea
Republic of Cyprus
Saint Kitts and Nevis
Saint Vincent and the Grenadines
Sao Tome and Principe
Syrian Arab Republic
Tanzania, United Republic of
Trinidad and Tobago
United Arab Emirates
Which Are the Visa Waiver Countries And Territories?
The following are visa waiver countries and territories:
Estonia (citizens only)
Hong Kong (residents with HKSAR or British National–Overseas passports only)
Latvia (citizens only)
Lithuania (citizens only)
Macau (only if you have a Macau Special Administrative Region passport)
Portugal (if you have the right to live permanently in Portugal)
Taiwan (if you are a permanent resident)
United Arab Emirates
United Kingdom (UK) (if you are traveling on a UK or British passport that shows you have the right to reside permanently in the UK)
United States of America (USA) (including USA nationals)
Note: It should be noted that Transit Visa for New Zealand holders are not permitted to leave the New Zealand airport.
Travelers with a long layover who want to leave Auckland International Airport to explore the city must apply for:
- If they are from a visa-free nation, they will need a Tourism New Zealand eTA.
- If they are from a visa-required country, they will need a New Zealand Tourist Visa.
- To obtain a visa to enter New Zealand, visitors must visit an embassy or consulate.
Are you looking for Online New Zealand visa from United Kingdom? Find out the requirements of the New Zealand eTA for United Kingdom citizens and the eTA NZ visa application from United Kingdom. Learn more at Online New Zealand Visa for United Kingdom Citizens.
Is An eTA Required for Transit Through New Zealand?
The following travelers are eligible to apply for a New Zealand eTA for transit:
- Passport holders from visa-free transit nations.
- Citizens of visa-exempt nations.
- Holders of a permanent resident visa in Australia.
- Passengers of all nationalities transiting via New Zealand on their way to Australia and with an Australian visa.
- Passengers of all countries transiting through Australia.
An NZ Transit eTA only permits people to transit through Auckland International Airport and stay in the transit area or aboard the aircraft.
The New Zealand electronic travel authorization is valid for two (2) years from the date of approval. It is not necessary to apply for an eTA before each transit through the country.
What Documentation Do I Need To Apply For A New Zealand Transit eTA?
Obtaining a Transit Visa for New Zealand for New Zealand is a simple process. To apply for a Transit Visa for New Zealand, applicants must have the following items on hand:
- A valid passport that is valid for at least three (3) months beyond the scheduled transit date.
- A valid email address in which the candidate will receive New Zealand eTA messages.
- A verified credit or debit card is required to cover the costs.
The New Zealand eTA application procedures are simple to understand.
How can I get a New Zealand eTA for transit?
To receive the New Zealand eTA for transit, qualified candidates must supply the following information:
- Personal information: It includes full name, date of birth, and gender.
- Passport details: It includes the number, date of issue, and expiry date.
- Information regarding travel.
- Every traveler is required to answer a few safety and health questions. Following that, people should carefully check that their information matches those on their passport.
After completing the New Zealand eTA application form, the computer will automatically decide that the citizen requires a Transit Visa for New Zealand and estimate the relevant fees.
Transit travelers can only transit through Auckland International Airport and must remain in the airport's transit area or aboard their flight.
Visitors planning to depart the airport and spend time in New Zealand can apply for an New Zealand eTA for Tourism.
Eligible citizens are unable to use eTA New Zealand to travel through Wellington or Christchurch airports
Frequently Asked Questions about the New Zealand eTA Visa. Get answers to the most common questions about the requirements, important information and documents required to travel to the New Zealand. Learn more at New Zealand eTA (NZeTA) Frequently Asked Questions.
What Are The New Zealand Transit eTA Application Requirements?
When applying for an eTA for transit, you must:
- Fill out the eTA NZ form.
- Check that their passport has at least three (3) months validity from the date(s) of scheduled arrival in New Zealand.
- Use a valid debit or credit card to pay the eTA fee.
The traveler can download the New Zealand application for a transit travel authority once it has been approved.
Before submitting their application, applicants should review the New Zealand eTA requirements.
Many New Zealand eTA applications are handled within 24 to 48 hours.
When Do I Require A Transit eTA Rather Than A Transit Visa for New Zealand?
- Passengers who are unable to apply for a New Zealand eTA must get a transit visa for New Zealand.
- Additional documentation is required for the transit visa application process.
- Passengers who need a transit visa should apply well in advance of their trip to allow for processing time.
- Individuals from visa-exempt countries who desire to leave the airport should apply for a transit visa to enter New Zealand.
How Can I Obtain a New Zealand Transit Visa?
For New Zealand visitors to obtain a transit visa, the following documents are required:
- A filled-out INZ 1019 Transit Visa Application form.
- A copy of their passport page with their name and photo.
- Plans for future travel.
- Itinerary for a trip.
- A statement describing the reason for the trip to the country of destination.
Who Needs a New Zealand Visa?
Before you go, you must apply for a transit permit. An entry permit is required regardless of whether it is a visa or merely the New Zealand eTA.
Only a New Zealand eTA is required to transit if you are any of the following:
- A permanent resident of Australia.
- From a visa-free nation.
- If you are not part of the visa-waiver program, you will require a visa to enter New Zealand.
Who Is Required to Apply for New Zealand eTA?
If you intend to visit New Zealand as a tourist or if you intend to go to another country via Auckland International Airport, you must apply for New Zealand eTA if you:
- Have a passport from a nation on the list of transit visa waiver countries.
- You must be a permanent Australian resident with a resident visa that allows you to travel to Australia from any nation.
- Are a current citizen of any of the visa waiver nations.
Important Points You Must Remember as a Transit Passenger
- You must pass through Auckland International Airport.
- You must always remain in the airport's transit area.
- You must include your partner and dependent children under the age of 19 in your immigration application.
- If you are a transit visa waiver nation, an Australian resident, or a visa waiver country, you must have New Zealand eTA.
- It can take very little time; however, the processing period is limited to 72 hours.
- Passengers pay a certain sum as an International Visitor Conservation and Tourism Levy (IvL) at the same time they pay for New Zealand eTA.
- Once you have requested New Zealand eTA, you can check the status of your application.
- New Zealand eTA is extremely important for transit since without it, you cannot fly to or from Auckland International Airport.
- You cannot go to another nation through New Zealand if you have a visa but do not have New Zealand eTA. To depart, you must have an approved New Zealand eTA.
- Transit Visa-Free Countries - Citizens of various countries in New Zealand are not required to apply for an NZ visa as transit passengers, but they must have New Zealand eTA before transiting through New Zealand.
From October 2019 New Zealand Visa requirements have changed. People who do not require a New Zealand Visa i.e. formerly Visa Free nationals, are required to obtain New Zealand Electronic Travel Authorization (NZeTA) in order to enter New Zealand. Learn more at Online New Zealand Visa Eligible Countries.
Summarizing: What Does It Mean to Transit Through New Zealand?
A transit passenger is an international tourist who is on his or her way to some other country and travels through New Zealand without intending to stay.
Foreign travelers are only permitted to transit via Auckland International Airport and must remain in the designated transit area or on board their flight.
They can currently spend less than 24 hours in New Zealand without a visa.
Only New Zealand citizens and permanent residents, as well as Australian citizens, do not need a visa or New Zealand eTA to transit the nation.
Citizens of all other countries must have a New Zealand eTA or a transit visa to enter New Zealand.
Foreign visitors from visa-free nations and Australian permanent residents can apply for an New Zealand eTA to transit through the country.
All other foreign visitors must get a transit visa. They must fill out an online application form, sign it, and submit it to the nearest New Zealand embassy or consulate along with all other supporting documents.
Foreign nationals seeking a transit visa may bring their partner and children under the age of 19. Separate visa applications are not required.
All transit passengers must remain in the transit/transfer area and must pass through security checks.
They are advised to be mindful of forbidden items, including duty-free purchases from other airports, which will be inspected at Auckland Airport.
They can proceed to the departure area for their next flight after the checks are completed.
The airport provides 24-hour customer service, and passengers can contact officers by dialing 0 or 98777 in case of an emergency or for additional services.
There are also free Wi-Fi hotspots and other amenities at the airport.
Ensure that you have checked the eligibility for your Online New Zealand Visa. If you are from a Visa Waiver country then you can apply for an Online New Zealand Visa or New Zealand eTA regardless of the mode of travel (Air / Cruise). United States citizens, European citizens, Canadian citizens, United Kingdom citizens, French citizens, Spanish citizens and Italian citizens can apply online for New Zealand eTA. United Kingdom residents can stay on New Zealand eTA for 6 months while others for 90 days.
Please apply for an Online New Zealand Visa 72 hours in advance of your flight.