Online New Zealand Visa
By: Tiasha Chatterjee
New Zealand has a new entry requirement known as the Online New Zealand Visa or eTA New Zealand Visa for short visits, vacations, or professional visitor activities. To enter New Zealand, all non-citizens must have a valid visa or electronic travel authorization (eTA).
Visitors who meet New Zealand's visa-waiver requirements can enter the country without a visa if they have electronic travel permission.
To apply for an NZeTA visa waiver to visit New Zealand, international people must:
- Have all of the necessary documentation.
- Meet the NZeTA admission requirements.
- Be a citizen of a visa-exempt country.
This page goes into additional depth about each of these needs.
New Zealand Visa (NZeTA)
New Zealand eTA Application Form now allows visitors from all nationalities to obtain New Zealand eTA (NZETA) by email without visiting New Zealand Embassy. New Zealand Visa application process is automated, simple, and completely online. New Zealand Immigration now officially recommends Online New Zealand Visa or New Zealand ETA online rather than sending paper documents. You can obtain New Zealand eTA by filling out a form on this website and making the payment using a Debit or Credit Card. You will also require a valid email id as New Zealand eTA information will be sent to your email id. You do not need visit an embassy or consulate or to send your passport for Visa stamping. If you are arriving to New Zealand by the Cruise Ship route, you should check the New Zealand ETA eligibility conditions for Cruise Ship arrival to New Zealand.
What Is Online New Zealand Visa or New Zealand eTA?
The New Zealand Immigration Agency and the New Zealand government established the eTA New Zealand Visa (NZeTA), or New Zealand Electronic Travel Authorization, in July 2019.
By October 2019, all cruise passengers and citizens of the 60 visa-free countries must get an eTA New Zealand visa (NZeTA).
Before travelling to New Zealand, all aviation and cruise ship workers must have a Crew eTA New Zealand Visa (NZeTA) (NZ).
Multiple trips and a 2-year validity period are permitted with the eTA New Zealand Visa (NZeTA). Candidates can apply for a New Zealand visa via a mobile device, iPad, PC, or laptop and receive a response by email.
It only takes a few minutes to complete the fast procedure of submitting an online New Zealand Visa Application. The entire procedure is completed online. NZeTA can be purchased with a debit/credit card.
An eTA New Zealand eTA (NZeTA) will be provided within 48 - 72 hours of the online registration form and application cost being completed and paid.
What Are Some Things to Know About Online New Zealand Visa?
- People from 60 nations can apply for a New Zealand visa online if arriving by plane.
- Any citizen may apply for an eTA New Zealand visa by cruise ship.
- Access to New Zealand Visa Online is granted for 90 days (180 days for UK Citizens).
- The eTA of New Zealand The visa is valid for two years and allows for repeated entries.
- You must be in good health and not seek medical advice or treatment to be eligible for a New Zealand Electronic Travel Authorization (NZeTA).
- You must apply for an eTA New Zealand visa 72 hours before departure.
- A form must be filled out, submitted, and paid for at the eTA New Zealand Visa application form.
- Australian citizens are not required to apply for an eTA NZ Visa. Whether they have a passport from a qualifying nation, Australian legal residents of other countries must apply for an eTA but are exempt from paying the accompanying tourist tax.
- The eTA New Zealand Visa Waiver does not apply to the following situations:
- A non-cruise ship's passengers and crew.
- Employees on a foreign cargo ship.
- Visitors to New Zealand who are visiting under the Antarctic Treaty.
- Personnel from a visiting force and crew members
The 3 Easy Steps to Obtaining Your Online New Zealand Visa
1. Fill out and submit your eTA application.
2. Receive eTA through email
3. Take a flight to New Zealand!
Frequently Asked Questions about the New Zealand eTA Visa. Get answers to the most common questions about the requirements, important information and documents required to travel to the New Zealand. Learn more at New Zealand eTA (NZeTA) Frequently Asked Questions.
Which Countries are Eligible for eTA with New Zealand?
Countries that do not require a tourist visa.
Citizens of the following countries can apply for the NZeTA for tourism and transit purposes.
– All European Union citizens:
– Other countries:
Republic of South Korea
United Arab Emirates
Transit visa waiver countries
Passport holders from any following countries with a layover in Auckland International Airport en route to a third-country destination must apply for a transit NZeTA (only transit, not tourism).
These are the transit visa waiver countries for New Zealand:
Antigua and Barbuda
Bosnia and Herzegovina
Central African Republic
Iran, Islamic Republic of
Korea, Democratic People’s Republic of
Lao People’s Democratic Republic
Micronesia, Federated States of
Moldova, Republic of
Papua New Guinea
Saint Kitts and Nevis
Saint Vincent and the Grenadines
Sao Tome and Principe
Syrian Arab Republic
Tanzania, United Republic of
Trinidad and Tobago
From October 2019 New Zealand Visa requirements have changed. People who do not require a New Zealand Visa i.e. formerly Visa Free nationals, are required to obtain New Zealand Electronic Travel Authorization (NZeTA) in order to enter New Zealand. Learn more at Online New Zealand Visa Eligible Countries.
Special NZeTA restrictions apply to applicants from the following countries:
Passport holders from the following countries must meet the country-specific requirements to apply for an eTA:
- Estonia - Citizens only
- Hong Kong - HKSAR or British National-Overseas passport holders only
- Latvia - Citizens only
- Lithuania - Citizens only
- Macau - Macau Special Administrative Region passport holders only
- Portugal - Must have the right to reside permanently in Portugal
- Taiwan - Must have the right to reside permanently in Taiwan
- The United Kingdom - Must have the right to reside permanently in the UK
- The United States - Including US nationals
- Australian permanent residents with third-country passports require an NZeTA but are exempt from the tourism levy. Australian citizens are not required to apply for an eTA visa waiver.
Are you looking for Online New Zealand visa from United Kingdom? Find out the requirements of the New Zealand eTA for United Kingdom citizens and the eTA NZ visa application from United Kingdom. Learn more at Online New Zealand Visa for United Kingdom Citizens.
What Documents are Required to Apply for an Online New Zealand Visa or eTA New Zealand Visa?
Travellers who want to apply for a New Zealand visa online (NZeTA) must meet the following requirements:
A passport that is ready for travel
The applicant's passport must be valid for at least three (3) months after departing New Zealand. A blank page in the passport is also required so that the customs agent can stamp it.
A valid Email address
A valid Email ID is required to obtain the eTA New Zealand Visa (NZeTA), as it will be emailed to the applicant. Visitors wishing to visit New Zealand can fill out the eTA New Zealand Visa application form available on our website.
A legitimate cause
When completing their NZeTA application or crossing the border, the applicant may be asked to explain the reason for their visit. They must apply for the appropriate type of visa; a separate visa is required for a business or medical visit.
Proper New Zealand accommodation plans
The applicant must mention where they are located in New Zealand. (For example, a hotel address or the address of a relative or friend)
Payment Options for the Online New Zealand Visa
Because there is no paper version of the eTA application form, you must use a confirmed credit/debit card to complete the online New Zealand Visa application form.
Additional documents that may be requested for the Online New Zealand Visa application at the border with New Zealand:
Sufficient means of subsistence
The applicant may be required to demonstrate their ability to sustain themselves financially and otherwise throughout their stay in New Zealand. A bank statement or a credit card may be required when applying for an eTA New Zealand Visa.
A ticket for a future or returning flight, or a cruise
The applicant may be required to submit evidence that they intend to leave New Zealand once the trip for which they got an eTA NZ Visa has concluded. A suitable New Zealand visa is required for a longer stay in New Zealand.
If the applicant does not currently have an onward ticket, they may offer proof of cash and the ability to purchase one in the future.
Get Online New Zealand visa for US citizens, with new-zealand-visa.org. To find out the requirements of the New Zealand eTA for Americans (USA Citizens) and the eTA NZ visa application learn more at Online New Zealand Visa for US Citizens.
New Zealand Transit Visa: What Is A New Zealand Transit Visa?
- A New Zealand transit visa allows a person to travel to or from New Zealand by land, air, or sea (plane or cruise ship), with a layover or stopover in New Zealand. In this case, an eTA New Zealand Visa rather than a New Zealand visa is necessary.
- When stopping at Auckland International Airport on your journey to another country other than New Zealand, you must apply for an eTA New Zealand for Transit.
- All nationals of countries with New Zealand Visa Waiver (New Zealand eTA Visa) programs are eligible to apply for New Zealand Transit Visas, a New Zealand eTA (electronic Travel Authority) subcategory that does not include the International Visitor Levy.
- It should be remembered that if you apply for eTa New Zealand for Transit, you will be unable to exit Auckland International Airport.
What Is the Difference Between the ETA New Zealand Visa and the New Zealand Visa?
- For nationals of countries that do not require a visa for New Zealand, the eTA New Zealand Visa given on this page is the most practical entry authority available in most cases within one working day.
- If your nation is not on the eTA New Zealand countries list, you must go through a lengthy process to obtain a New Zealand visa.
- The maximum period of stay for New Zealand eTA is 6 months (New Zealand Electronic Travel Authority or NZeTA). If you intend to stay in New Zealand for an extended period, eTA New Zealand is not for you.
- Furthermore, unlike obtaining a New Zealand visa, obtaining a New Zealand eTA (New Zealand electronic Travel Authority, or NZeTA) does not necessitate a trip to the New Zealand Embassy or New Zealand High Commission.
- Furthermore, New Zealand eTA (also known as NZeTA or New Zealand electronic Travel Authority) is delivered electronically by email, whereas New Zealand Visa may require a passport stamp. The added benefit of repeated admission eligibility for New Zealand eTA is beneficial.
- The eTA New Zealand Visa Application Form can be completed in about two minutes and includes questions about general health, character, and biodata. The New Zealand Visa Online application, commonly known as NZeTA, is also simple and quick to use. while the application procedure for a New Zealand visa can take several hours to days.
- Although New Zealand Visas can take several weeks to be awarded, most eTA New Zealand Visas (also known as NZeTA or New Zealand Visa Online) are accepted on the same or the next working day.
- The fact that all European Union and US residents are eligible for New Zealand eTA (also known as NZeTA) indicates that New Zealand regards these persons as low-risk.
- The eTA New Zealand Visa (also known as the NZeTA or New Zealand Visa Online) should be regarded as the new type of New Zealand tourist visa for the 60 countries that do not require a visa to enter New Zealand.
What Type Of Visa Is Required For New Zealand Arriving By Cruise Ship?
If you plan to visit New Zealand by cruise ship, you can apply for an eTA New Zealand Visa (New Zealand Visa Online or NZeTA). Depending on your nationality, you can use the NZeTA to stay in New Zealand for short periods (up to 90 or 180 days).
If travelling by cruise liner, any citizen may apply for a New Zealand eTA.
Suppose you are a permanent resident of Australia. You do not have to pay the International Visitor Levy (IVL) component cost to use the New Zealand eTA (New Zealand Electronic Travel Authority, or NZeTA).
What Requirements Must Be Satisfied To Obtain An Eta New Zealand Visa?
The essential requirements for acquiring an eTA New Zealand Visa are as follows:
- A passport or other travel permission valid for three months from entry into New Zealand.
- A reliable and functional email address.
- Using a debit, credit, or PayPal card.
- Medical visits are not permitted; see New Zealand. Visa classifications.
- A New Zealander flying to a place where visas are not required.
- The maximum stay per visit should be 90 days (180 days for British Citizens).
- There are no active criminal records.
- There must be no history of expulsion or deportation from another country.
Permanent residents of the United Kingdom, Taiwan, and Portugal are also eligible to apply, although individuals from other countries must also have passports from the corresponding country.
What Are the Passport Requirements for an ETA New Zealand Visa (Online New Zealand Visa)?
The following passports are required to obtain an eTA New Zealand Visa: (or NZeTA).
- The passport is only valid for three (3) months following the date of entry into New Zealand.
- If arriving by air, the passport must be from a country that grants visa-free entry to New Zealand.
- A passport from any country is permitted if coming by cruise ship.
- The eTA New Zealand visa application's name must match the passport's name perfectly.
What Is The Benefit Of Using NZeTA?
- Online Services are among our offerings.
- Available every day of the year.
- Modification of the application available.
- Before submitting your application, you can have it reviewed by a visa professional.
- The application method has been streamlined.
- Adding missing or incorrect data.
- Privacy protection and a safe format.
- Validation and verification of further information.
- Help and support are available by email 24 hours a day, seven days a week.
- In the event of a loss, send an email to Recovery of your eVisa.
- The China Union Pay card, as well as 130 PayPal currencies
What are the Documents necessary for the NZeTA?
Foreign citizens must complete the online NZeTA application form.
The following materials are required:
- An eligible passport is required.
- A photograph of the applicant.
- Credit or debit card.
Passport requirements for NZeTA:
Applicants must have a passport from one of the visa-free countries listed below.
After departing New Zealand, the passport should be valid for at least three (3) months.
You must use the same passport to apply for the NZeTA and travel to New Zealand. This is especially important for applicants who hold dual citizenship.
The NZeTA is linked to the holder's passport electronically. It is also emailed to the applicant in PDF format, which can be printed.
The following information is included in the approved NZeTA:
- Details about the traveller.
- The type of NZeTA you want.
- The expiration date.
Visitors must have a valid travel authorization or visa for their visit to New Zealand. The passport to which the travel permission is linked is included.
Individuals who remain in New Zealand after their visa has expired will be considered unlawful and may be deported.
NZeTA photograph requirements:
Applicants must submit a digital photograph that meets the NZeTA photo requirements.
The photograph must be:
- Less than ten (10) megabytes.
- In portrait orientation.
- Without any editing or filters.
- Photographed against a light, plain background.
- Without the presence of others.
- The subject should gaze squarely at the camera, eyes open and lips closed, with a neutral facial expression.
Paying the NZeTA fees with a debit or credit card:
The NZeTA fees are paid securely online with a debit or credit card. It is the last step before submitting your application.
An International Visitor Conservation and Tourism Levy (IVL) levy is also levied to assist sustainable tourism.
Travelling with an NZeTA requires the following information:
Travellers must supply the following information to be eligible for the eTA:
- Complete name.
- The date of birth.
- Citizenship country.
- The number on a passport.
- The date of issue and the expiration date of a passport.
Applicants are also quizzed on their personalities. The qualifications for good character in New Zealand necessitate that the visitor:
- Has no severe criminal convictions.
- Has not been deported, removed, or barred from entering another nation.
- Foreigners should be in good health as well.
Conditions for travelling with an NZeTA:
The New Zealand Electronic Travel Authority (NZeTA) is intended for overseas visitors visiting the country for vacation or attending business meetings or other activities.
Citizens of visa-free countries may only visit New Zealand for the following purposes:
- Tourism, business, or transportation.
- No longer than three months (6 months for UK citizens).
- NZeTA holders are permitted to enter the country by air or cruise ship.
- In both circumstances, a visa waiver is required.
- A visa is required to enter New Zealand for other reasons, such as work or study, or to stay for more than 90 days.
NZeTA requirements for children:
To travel to New Zealand from a visa-free nation, children must have an NZeTA.
Minors, like adults, must meet the NZeTA standards to travel to New Zealand without a visa.
Although parents and guardians can apply on their child's behalf, each family member or group must obtain travel authorization.
Transiting through New Zealand with an eTA requires the following requirements:
Foreign citizens may pass via Auckland International Airport (AKL) on their trip to a third country. Passengers from visa-free countries may transit with an NZeTA.
Passengers passing via Auckland Airport must remain:
- On the plane.
- In a transit zone.
- For a maximum of 24 hours.
Requirements for arriving by cruise ship in New Zealand.
Passengers on cruise ships can visit New Zealand without a visa if they apply for an NZeTA. The visa waiver will be validated when you check in for the cruise.
Anyone coming into New Zealand to join a cruise must have the necessary air travel authorization. Citizens of visa-free nations can enter with an NZeTA; all other nationalities require a visa.
Entry requirements for New Zealand:
To enter New Zealand, foreign citizens must present two (2) documents:
- The passport must be valid.
- NZeTA or the New Zealand visa.
NZeTA holders may additionally be required to present an airline ticket out of New Zealand at the end of their stay or proof of financial assistance.
Holding a valid visa or visa waiver does not ensure entrance; immigration officers decide whether to allow an individual to enter New Zealand.
What Must I Declare When I Arrive In New Zealand?
Several products must be declared upon arrival to avoid dangerous pests and diseases from entering New Zealand.
The following risk commodities must be declared on the Passenger Arrival Card:
- Products derived from animals.
- Plants and plant-derived goods.
- Tents and sports equipment are examples of outdoor activity products.
- Fishing and diving equipment are examples of water-related products.
The Passenger Arrival Card contains a complete list of items that must be disclosed.
Some hazardous items may be admitted if a quarantine officer at the border verifies that they do not represent a risk. The items may need to be treated.
Items deemed dangerous that are not deemed safe may be confiscated or destroyed.
Cash declaration requirements in New Zealand:
There is no restriction on the quantity of cash you can bring into New Zealand. Passengers carrying more than NZ $10,000, or equivalent foreign currency, must disclose it upon arrival.
Travellers who are exempt from the NZeTA requirement:
The following people are exempt from requiring an eTA or visa to enter New Zealand:
- Those who arrive on a non-cruise ship.
- The crew on a cargo ship from another country.
- Officials from the New Zealand government are in attendance.
- Visitors are arriving under the terms of the Antarctic Treaty.
- A visiting force's officers and personnel.
Conditions for obtaining a standard New Zealand visa
Foreign citizens who do not qualify for an NZeTA must get a guest visa in New Zealand. Several supporting documents are required to secure the visa, including proof of:
- Excellent health.
- Good personality.
- Continue your journey.
- Financial resources.
The visa application process is more time-consuming and complicated than the online NZeTA system. Visitors who need a visa should apply well before their desired travel date.
Ensure that you have checked the eligibility for your Online New Zealand Visa. If you are from a Visa Waiver country then you can apply for an Online New Zealand Visa or New Zealand eTA regardless of the mode of travel (Air / Cruise). United States citizens, European citizens, Canadian citizens, United Kingdom citizens, French citizens, Spanish citizens and Italian citizens can apply online for New Zealand eTA. United Kingdom residents can stay on New Zealand eTA for 6 months while others for 90 days.
Please apply for an Online New Zealand Visa 72 hours in advance of your flight.